School and Coffee
Today we took a Jeep ride to a local school. I was in the back. The dust was pervasive. You could taste it.
The school offers two slices of bread and tea each morning to the preschoolers from a kitchen house burning wood fires. The water fountain was not running due to lack of water during the day season. That black pot is where the tea is made.
We were brought into several classes where children would sing to us. And by brought I mean the girls were pulled in by dozens of smiling children desperate for something to do. I had heard in The Economist that in many East African countries school teachers are in short supply. This school had about 6 for 10 classrooms. Apparently teachers are hired and paid but do not teach, the positions are often patronage appointments. The some children spend all day at the school and are never taught anything because the teacher is not present.
Their smiles are infectious and the girls (especially Isabelle) loved meeting kids.
Finally we stopped for smoothies, coffee and lunch at Rhotia Valley’s coffee corner. The view was spectacular.