Driving from Auckland to Hahei
The plan today was to pick up our rental car near the airport, then drive to Hahei on the scenic route.
All was easy enough until the town of Thames where we stopped for lunch, a quick trip to the thrift shop, and to grab some food supplies.
However, I may have underestimated the intensity of the drive along the Coromandel Peninsula.
As the person sitting on the cliff side of the road, I was mostly gripping the handles and seat for dear life. Being on the other side of the road was disorienting!! JL did an amazing job driving along the twisting, narrow roads with big trucks passing so close on the other side. The scenery was gorgeous, but I had a hard time looking at it.
Green-lipped mussels are produced around here - you can see the boats:
We finally made it to our hotel in Hahei. It’s a cute little town that I’m sure is hopping in summer but is pretty quiet right now. We had enough time to check out the beach before sunset.
Tomorrow morning is another adventure, this time at Hot Water Beach and an afternoon boat tour! Now for a glass of wine to calm my nerves…